The referral strategy is about educating your network about what you do and who you do it for, showing your expertise, building credibility and staying in their minds
— Andy Lopata, Trainer, Speaker, Author
In this week’s episode, we’re speaking to Andy Lopata, trainer, speaker and author
Andy has written three books and his most recent entitled ‘Recommended: How to Sell through Networking and Referrals‘ is the subject of today’s show.
This episode is a masterclass on how a training professional or any kind of professional can generate business in the most obvious yet most overlooked place: their existing network and their network’s network.
Why do so many self-employed training consultants not ask to be recommended? Why would so many of us rather spend time hunting for new customers rather than leverage the goodwill of our existing customers who are the very people who know us and can refer us?
‘Referred trust’ – as Andy explains is the – single most powerful advantage you have to approach potential customers. If your prospect trusts the person who has recommended you, then you have an enormous edge over your competition. Makes sense doesn’t it?
We are offering 3 signed, personally-dedicated copies of Andy’s book to freelance trainers (only) who write a post on HiredTrainer.com’s facebook page explaining which one thing (just one thing) they really want to learn about from listening to the hiredtrainer.com podcast.
Biggest takeaways you don’t want to miss:
- Why so many people (listen-up, trainers!) leave word-of-mouth recommendations to chance
- Why customers who are referred to you tend to have a high life-time sales value to your business
- How fear can hold you back from asking to be referred and how to overcome that fear
- What a ‘referral-mix’ strategy is and how it works
- What a ‘referral book’ is and how you can use it to plan your referral approach
- How membership of a professional speaker’s organization has helped Andy’s business
- Why you should sell ‘through’ the room and not ‘to’ the room when networking
- Why your networking results will fail if you focus solely on short-term results
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Recommended: How to Sell Through Networking and Referrals
Professional Speakers Association
Learning Performance Institute
The Science of Persuasion – Dr. Robert Cialdini
Rachel Enlaugh – BBC Dragon
Hiredtrainer on Facebook
Click here to read the transcript for this episode