Being able to prove your that your training actually works is a big part of being a training business owner…
— Katy Caselli, Industrial-Organizational Psychologist and Trainer
In this week’s episode, we’re talking to Katy Caselli, owner of BuildingGiants based out of the ‘Research Triangle’ area near Raleigh and Durham in North Carolina, USA.
Not just an I-O (Industrial and Organizational Psychologist), Katy is an experienced training professional. In prior roles, she was Senior HR and Training and Development Manager, Operations Training Manager and Learning & Development Manager.
She reveals how training-needs-analysis is crucial to your success as a trainer. Simply delivering training programmes is only one part of your role as a trainer role. You must also know which questions to ask the client in order to gauge whether training is an appropriate intervention.
This episode is fantastic. Katy gives so many thoughtful responses and shares a lot of insight into her personal training journey so far as well as telling us how her business works and how she attracts clients who continue to commission her services as a learning & development expert.
Biggest takeaways you don’t want to miss:
- Why organizations need the help of an Industrial Psychologist
- Why I-O Psychology is in demand by HR in industry
- How an understanding of psychology is conducive to your training success
- Why proving the effectiveness of your training can help you stand out
- The 5 questions to ask to in order to conduct a simple training-needs analysis
- Why behavioural-change is the most important outcome of a training programme
- What inspired Katy to write her book ‘Building Giants’
- What motivated Katy to overcome her fear and start her own training business
- How Katy kept going when other trainers failed on their own
- How to use networking events to attract training clients
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Katy’s book on Amazon – Building Giants: A Proven System to Transform Your Workforce
Katy’s course on Udemy – How to Show a Return on Training Investment
Jack J Phillip’s Book – RoI in Training and Performance Improvement Programs
Society for Human Resource Management – World’s largest HR society (USA)
Association for Talent Development – International L&D body (USA)
Toastmasters – Organization devoted to helping people master public-speaking
The Forgetting Curve – How Herman Ebbinghaus’s model relates to training retention
Click here to read the transcript for this episode